Many residents started showing interest in football betting as a result. Most sportsbooks in North Macedonia come as mobile apps, allowing bettors to enjoy sports betting on the go. Such technology enables players to wager from wherever they may be as long as there is an internet connection.
Most apps are designed for Android and iOS devices, but their web versions are accessible via mobile browsers and desktop computers. The top sports betting sites listed here will help punters choose the most suitable. All that is needed is to click the available link, and it will direct the user to the bookie's homepage.
Betting outlets and bookmakers have been legal in the Republic of North Macedonia since 1991. In 1991, North Macedonia declared independence from Yugoslavia and began a journey toward steady economic growth. As the state continued to develop, the gambling industry gained a lot of traction. Gambling legislation was first introduced in 1997, but it was sketchy. Companies specializing in sports events first introduced their betting services in 1999. The betting market remained a gray area for a while until the Law on Games of Chance and entertainment games was proposed in 2011 and enacted in 2013.
In 2014, online gambling was legalized, but only for lotteries. With technical assistance from ISPs, the government would block specific international betting sites. But this did not prevent Macedonians from betting at those sites. They used VPNs to bypass the restriction.
Online sports betting in Macedonia was not regulated until 2020, when the authorities started issuing licenses to sportsbook sites. The Law on Games of Chance was amended the same year to curb problem gambling, especially due to the global pandemic that forced many Macedonians to remain indoors.
A state monopoly
Since 2014, online betting was a monopoly controlled by the National Videolottery, so no private operator was allowed to provide betting services over the internet. The government monopolized online gambling by entering into a business arrangement with Casinos Austria. The latter owned 49%, while the state controlled the rest (51%).
The joint venture constituted a system of video lottery terminals and online lotto networks. Their online platforms offered casino games and sports betting opportunities as well. It is worth noting that the European Union does not allow such monopolies. So, when Macedonia officially joined the EU in 2020, the National Videolottery became unwarranted.